[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 06:41:26 GMT 2009

2009/12/6 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> Might want to check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click-through_license .  A
> quick scan finds one case where the license was found unenforceable (because
> it was unconscionable), and several where it was found enforceable.

As I said, the judgement I'm thinking of was a few years ago and I
don't recall specifics.

> I'm not sure what you consider a "click through type agreement", but if
> you're including websites which have you click on some equivalent of "I
> agree", I can't imagine that could possible be found unenforceable.  Without
> it, e-commerce could never exist.

Actually the basis of commerce, not just e-commerce, is money changing
hands, that's why some things like Digium/Asterisk offer a $1
settlement for copyright, the money changing hands is a legally
binding contract.

> Unlike some others, I'm not angry about it, though.  Mr. Lamping analogized
> earlier about a gun being to the heads of the contributors.  But a better
> analogy would be that the OSMF is sticking a gun to its own head when it
> says "agree to the changes or we'll pull the trigger".

I'm not angry either, just trying to get past the emotive
language/statements, logical falecies and figure out the pros and cons
of the new licensing to see if such a large change is in my best
interest because it's likely going to involve consulting various
government bodies to release data under a suitable license after
they've just released a lot of data under CC-BY-SA.