[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] my views on the ODbL

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 06:48:27 GMT 2009

2009/12/6 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> What, you say, you already had that right anyway?  Well, here in the US, I
> already have the right to copy and redistribute the OSM database.

Depends what laws the laws in your jurisdictions are derived from.

Sometimes it's anything goes unless you aren't allowed to do it.

Sometimes you aren't allowed to do anything unless it's specifically permitted.

What I'm curious about is if a document is written in XML can be
considered copyrighted, why can't geo-data be copyrighted as well
since it's not a database of facts, but a document of information
created, in this case, by crowd sourcing.