[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sun Dec 6 07:19:52 GMT 2009

On 06/12/2009, at 10:05 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> James Livingston wrote:
>> For example, I have inferred road positions from the CC-BY-licensed
>> Queensland DCDB-lite dataset, and have uploaded national park and
>> world-heritage areas from the CC-BY dataset on data.australia.gov.au.
>> As I'm not the copyright holder of those base datasets, I don't see
>> how I could agree to the relicensing, or contributor terms which
>> allow for future relicensing.  Does that mean everything I've ever
>> contributed (even my own work) has to be deleted? Probably.
>
> Are we sure that CC-BY is any more incompatible with ODbL that what we're doing now? I mean, nominally we have CC-BY-SA but data.australia.gov.au is not listed on the maps anywhere...

data.australia.gov.au is just a repository for data, the actual copyright holders are various departments in various levels of government. For example various ways have
source=au.qld.dcdb_lite
attribution=Based on data from State of Queensland (Department of Environment and Resource Management) 2009
  or
source=ABS_2006
attribution=Based on Australian Bureau of Statistics data
  and the ABS is mentioned on the Attribution wiki page.

Aside from any incompatibility between CC-BY and ODbL, the contributor terms would prevent us using CC-BY data in OSM unless the copyright holder agrees to the terms. I think that by satisfying the ODbL you also satisfy all the conditions of CC-BY, so it would be distributable under the terms of ODbL - but strictly speaking I don't think you could say it's all ODbL-licensed.

> If we're talking about a lot of data, and if you have put proper "source" tags in or tagged your changesets in a way that makes them discernible, then we can find a way to open a new account and transfer this "tainted" data to the new account and you then accept the relicensing with your old account.

As above, I think everyone has been putting those tags (and similar ones for other datasets) on the ways, so hopefully they'd be extractable.