[OSM-talk] OSMF: The people you are going to hand over your OSM data ...

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 13:40:05 GMT 2009

>> as far as i can see the contributor terms definition says the same
>> thing, except ...
>
> ...except the context is different.  With CC BY-SA you are giving everyone
> the same rights.  With the Contributor Terms the only one to have those
> rights is the OSMF.

But only with the condition that they give everyone else those rights
when publishing the data (via cc-by-sa or odbl). There's a slight
change to attribution in that redirection which is just a
formalisation of the current practice of attribution to OSM, and a
wiki page for large contributors.

The only extra right you give OSMF here, over and above everyone else,
is the license change part -- and that can only be initiated by OSMF,
the rest has to go to a vote of the OSM contributors. With cc-by-sa
you currently give this right to Creative Commons, who think we should
be using CC0 for data anyway.

Dave