[OSM-talk] Opinion poll about the new licence Odbl 1.0

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:51:53 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I missed an option saying I'm in favour of ODbL but may not be in
>> position to agree to relicense all data I uploaded (because part of it
>> is CC-BY-SA owned by other authors).
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> As far as I understood (but some experts might rectify if I'm wrong),
> only the last contributor of an element will have to accept the new
> licence.

this isn't correct. to recover the full history of an element all
authors who have contributed to it will have to agree. for more
details, please see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Backup_Plan#Marking_elements_.22OK.22

> So if your uploads are based on other authors who will reject
> the new licence, the data will remain anyway if "you, the last
> contributor in the history of this element" accepts the new licence.
> If you think that you could accept the new licence but not in these
> conditions, you might select the option "no, I will not accept the new
> license Odbl but I will if the license is reworked" and add some
> comments below.

if you're in the US you could also accept the new license on Anthony's
(as far as i can tell, correct) interpretation, which is that factual
data doesn't gather copyright protection.

cheers,

matt