[OSM-talk] New OpenStreetMap iPhone Editor - Mapzen POI Collector

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 7 14:16:40 GMT 2009

Nick, Oleg,

    thank you for answering.

I'm quite surprised that you are working directly from the API. Nick writes:

> The server is actually quite responsive for POIs - maybe its because
> node queries are faster than way queries and because the bboxes are
> generally very small (equal to a few tiles).

I can imagine that the server is responsive enough if you query for a
simple POI, or a number of them. But to the best of my knowledge, the
0.6 API has no call that lets you retrieve only nodes in a certain bbox.
So do you initially do a slow "give me everything in this bbox" call and
simply discard ways and relations?

> around conflicts though.  An alternative is to speed up the main OSM
> server - this is good because then everyone in the community benefits
> (eg Potlatch and other editor users) and mainly because it reduces
> issues around conflicts.  If we ended up doing a CM XAPI, we'd open up
> access to anyone who wanted to use it anyway, so other editors and
> mappers could benefit.

There's surely a lot of potential benefits for the community at large in
there. I think the OSM admins may already have the idea of replication
on their radars, where read requests are fulfilled from a different
server than the writes go to. I don't know if that would be a
replication on the Postres level or on the application level.

Bye
Frederik