[OSM-talk] How is there not any creative-type (US) copyright in OSM data?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Dec 7 15:11:26 GMT 2009

Anthony <osm <at> inbox.org> writes:

>Why do people believe that there no creative copyright in OSM data

>I'm going with that assumption because that's what the OSM, Creative Commons,
>and Open Data Commons, all are telling us.

Do you have sources for that?  I haven't seen any statement by the OSMF
saying that there is no creativity (and hence, in some countries, no copyright)
in the OSM data.

Similarly I don't think Creative Commons have said that.  They have published
opinions on what licences might be suitable for factual data, but they haven't
made any pronouncement on the legal status of OSM data in particular.

As for Open Data Commons, I don't know, but I would welcome any references.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>