[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Dec 7 19:02:28 GMT 2009

SteveC <steve <at> asklater.com> writes:

>>It is not very wise of ODbL
>>proponents to claim that CC say that CC-BY-SA doesn't work for data
>>without also admitting that CC recommend CC0 for data.
>
>Personally I don't because the former is a legal opinion and the latter is a
>moral crusade opinion.

...and that is your opinion.  But not universally shared.

It is usually better to try hard to acknowledge the other side, so I really
think you need to be careful about mentioning CC's verdict on CC-BY-SA
without also mentioning their view about the ODbL.  Even if you think one
of the two views is wrongheaded or a 'moral crusade', if you would like to
mention Creative Commons to back up an argument against CC-BY-SA, you really
have a duty to give both sides.  If nothing else, doing so avoids starting
yet another side-discussion as people jump in to point out what you
deliberately omitted.

(As I read the CC people's comments on the ODbL, they genuinely are legal
and practical ones, being concerned with legal certainty and with the
licence's understandability to non-experts.)

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>