[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Dec 8 19:20:41 GMT 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> SteveC schreef:
>>> You cannot /copyright/ the data because it is factual. A license
>>> for what you couldn't /copyright/ in the first place is not an
>>> analogy of GPL vs BSD.
>>
>> Why not? It's incredibly similar. You're on the BSD side, morally.
>> I'm on the GPL side.
>
> Anyone that traces their trails might think this action is creative. If
> that was as creative as writing a computer program or an algorithm[1]
> that did this for you... then one probably understand that one is not
> making a Rembrandt.

Don't run away from the point. Stop switching between your legal and moral arguments. I know all about the legal side. Well done.

The point is that *morally* you want the data to be PD and *morally* I want it to be SA. The legal points you make are just supporting cases that you're cherry picking to help you.

> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapgenerator

>>> The amount of people wanting to go PD with their data is probably
>>> the inverse to the amount of people to want to keep viral.
>>
>> Sigh. Based on what? Based on that crappy poll? You have to be
>> kidding. The universe doesn't only consist only of PD people on this
>> list you know. There's a ton of people who are pro-SA and they tend
>> to be the more rational ones who can't be bothered with yet another
>> dumb poll or to comment back whenever someone brings up some
>> pseudo-legal argument based on their 'university of life' education.
>
> The OSM universe doesn't end at the OSMF members either. So I wonder
> what you are trying to prove here with /your/ vote. Statistical relevance?

Mine? It's the LWGs. Asking the membership is a very credible thing to do - ask those who care enough to be a member. They're the ones the OSMF represents.

Yours &c.

Steve