[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 19:38:41 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Anthony wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> > The point is that *morally* you want the data to be PD and *morally* I
> want it to be SA.
> >
> > Morally, I want my data to be SA.  CC-BY-SA, to be specific.
>
> Well that doesn't work,

Why doesn't it work?

> and ODbL is the next best thing.

CC0 is the next best thing.

> So we all agree, yay!

Except that we don't.

Actually, if I could use any license for my own personal works, I'd probably
use this, which I think is morally equivalent to CC-SA, but a lot simpler:

"Copying, distribution, public performance, public display, digital audio
transmission, and use of this work is permitted without restriction.
Circumvention of any technological measure or measures which effectively
control access to this work is permitted without restriction. Preparation of
derivative works is permitted provided that you cause any such work to be
licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of
this License."

Of course, it's based on US law.  So while it's fine for my works, it's not
the best for an international project.  So it's great that we had Creative
Commons to come up with an international equivalent.