[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Dec 8 20:02:48 GMT 2009

Ed Avis wrote:
>Richard Fairhurst <richard <at> systemed.net> writes:
>>In other words: If you want to use OSM data without attribution or
>>share-alike, you may do so by distributing the program that makes the
>>derivative, rather than the derivative itself.
>
> Right.  Of course it is up to the user of that program to comply with
> licensing if and when they choose to distribute the data further.
>
> Is this really so bad?

Do I think it's bad? Everything I contribute to OSM is PD. Of course I
don't.

But the point is that by using this loophole, I can create a map which
contains proprietary data/other elements, and is unattributed. The user
_cannot_ choose to distribute it further: to do so would break the
conditions of CC-BY-SA, as the proprietary elements cannot be relicensed.
This, to me, seems to be entirely against what CC-BY-SA seeks to achieve.

Richard