[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 21:29:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> > SteveC schreef:
> >> Why don't you do it then, try and fork to CC0 or PD with planet.osm ?
> >
> > Because I'm not convinced that CC-BY-SA won't hold ;)
>
> So if IP lawyers cannot convince you, who or what can?

A reasonable argument would go a long way.  Much further than out-of-context
ambiguous soundbites.

Of course, to really be 100% convinced it'd probably take a Supreme Court
ruling, and that'd only 100% convince me with respect to the United States.

And then, there's the equally ambiguous question of whether or not the ODbL
*would* hold.  If OSM is considered public domain in the United States, it's
fairly unlikely ODbL is going to change that.  Of course, I'll be watching
the Derrick Coetzee/National Portrait Gallery situation closely to adjust my
sense of that one.