[OSM-talk] Why PD is not better for business

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 03:07:00 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> This doesn't necessarily mean that share-alike is *good* for business,
> but I believe that the difficulties that share-alike brings are prone to
> hit a law-abiding hobbyist individual harder than a business giant with
> a legal department (that's assuming both want to play fair).

If I understand your argument:
1) As an individual, PD (public-domain type licenses) is easier to use than
SA (sharealike type licenses)
2) As a business, SA is relatively easy, perhaps almost as easy to use as
PD.
3) Therefore, there is no benefit to PD.

Are those in favour of PD really arguing that convenience for businesses is
the main benefit? I would have thought the main benefits would be for
individuals, and to avoid future licensing issues. Once data is licensed PD,
you really don't need to ever deal with the issue again, afaik.

Steve