[OSM-talk] Why PD is not better for business

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Dec 10 09:43:13 GMT 2009

Hi,

paul youlten wrote:
> I don't understand how a business using OSM data for free and without
> "thinking of the children"  (AKA "giving back to the community") is
> bad for the project - every time we get "ripped off" we get a bigger
> audience, the more people that use the data the more more influential
> the map becomes and hence the greater the fun in contributing to it in
> the first place.

That's how I see it, but there are people whose "fun" seems to be
reduced by the idea that anyone could be making money off their spare
time activity.

Probably the same people who, ten minutes later, diligently update their
Facebook profile so that Facebook gets more advertising revenue ;-)

Bye
Frederik