[OSM-talk] Why the BSD vs GPL debate is irrelevant to OSM

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Fri Dec 11 07:53:10 GMT 2009

> E.g. I'd be happy to see things like Google use OSM data and mix it with
> any other source of data they can get their hands on, but only if
> improvements they make to the data (or they get from their customers)
> get fed back to OSM.

How would you differentiate between edits that go to the OSM Data and
edits that go to "any other source"?

When you're talking about mixing the data, I think of some kind of
layers. If a user now adds a POI, which layer is affected? Google could
just drop this POI into their own layer so that it never reaches the
OSM-Data? This way no improvements would have to go back.

Of course it's a very one sided view to just talk about what evil things
they could so and not seeing the possibilities if they're not doing
these evil things, so yes: I'd also like to see OSM Data in GMaps.

Peter