[OSM-talk] Fwd: Re: Why PD is not better for business

vegard at vegard.engen.priv.no vegard at vegard.engen.priv.no
Fri Dec 11 10:43:33 GMT 2009

We do. There are data that are not so easiliy trackable.

Borders, for example, are almost impossible to track yourself, unless you
have a textual and non-ambiguous description, like "follows this river".

Which reminds me of the project I had looked forward to do: Canoeing the
russian-norwegian border river with a GPS :) Unfortunately, we got the
data through other means :)

- Vegard

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 09:02:09PM +1100, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> so we don't need imported data?

> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Why PD is not better for business
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009
> From: paul youlten <paul.youlten at gmail.com>
> To: Liz <edodd at billiau.net>
>
> Liz,
>
> The coastline I did back in the "old days" was between Hastings in
> Sussex and Folkestone in Kent. I did this by walking along the high
> tide mark with my GPS. Bits of coastline that were inaccessible (e.g:
> Harbors, cliffs and off shore islands) were done with the assistance
> of Yahoo Aerial photos.
>
> Really, we made perfectly good street maps without importing data for
> some years before people started bulk importing data.
>
> PY
>

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, paul youlten wrote:
> >> Saying "This would be a disaster" is a bit hyperbolic. Sure, people
> >> who hate OSMapping and just want to use bulk imports will be very,
> >> very disappointed, and possibly even a bit upset that they actually
> >> have to go out into the real world and make maps.  ;-)
> >
> > I find your attitude very difficult to understand.
> > You may feel that we shouldn't use any information that we can get from
> > 'elsewhere' but you might like to check your own country. If it has a
> > coastline, was it mapped by an OSM mapper in a kayak or was it imported
> data?
> >

> --
> Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807

- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.