[OSM-talk] Slightly OT: Learning GIS?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:02:41 GMT 2009

I'm sorry for spamming this list with something that's a bit off
topic, but my involvement with OSM has me interested in GIS generally,
and learning the algorithms that I can use to do analysis of the data-
everything from simple functions like calculating the bounding box for
an area and a radius, to knowing if (and where) two polygons
intersect, to more complex questions I don't know enough to ask about
yet.

So where does someone like me begin? Is there a good book I can read?
A video course online?

I realize that many universities offer a GIS class, but I'm wondering
if this is something that can be relatively self-taught?

Thanks,

- Serge