[OSM-talk] Dual/Multiple licencing

Brendan Morley morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Mon Dec 14 12:35:09 GMT 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:50:12 +0000, Matt Amos wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au> wrote:
>> Maybe I missed something in the discussion but...
>>
>> Why must there be migration to the new licence?

>mainly because the current license doesn't work. that is; in some
>jurisdictions it isn't able to enforce the attribution and share-alike
>features that most people expect. that's not the only reason, and you
>can find more information here:

>http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:License_Proposal.pdf
>http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Why_CC_BY-SA_is_Unsuitable
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License

>> Why can't we run both indefinitely?

>for the same reason that, if your front door is broken and won't lock,
>you don't just double-lock your back door ;-)

Hi Matt, thanks for your comments.

As I mentioned in another email today, I got sold on the idea of "The project was started because most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical restrictions on
their use, holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways."  Therefore (subliminally) the intent of my edits were to free the data to the extent that
my data sources would allow me to do so.

I've seen the links and I trust I'm clear on what the LWP is up to. However that's not what I signed up for, to be honest.  I mean it's an "OpenStreetMap" not a CopyleftMap or
anything that unambiguous.  I got sold on the blurb on that wiki page and didn't really notice the "SA fine print".  Maybe I should have, but why would I if the large print promised to
address "holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways"?  SA still holds them back somewhat.

So why not put a wall down the middle of the house and protect that with a proper lock if you like, and leave the other half open for visitors to freely use "in creative, productive, or
unexpected ways" with as little friction as possible?

Also I'm not sure if "share-alike" is a "feature that most people expect".  The wiki homepage currently does not mention it.  The main homepage mentions SA in teeny tiny 5 pixel
high text. The main page also mentions much more prominently that "OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. It is made by people like you."  So, cool, I assume
free as in "information wants to be free" and then (apologies to the wiki homepage), "I want to edit the mistakes I see on the maps; get out of my way!".

I can appreciate that the founders definitely intended sharelike/copyleft principles.  But IMHO it's certainly not marketed as a feature to fresh recruits!

Brendan