[OSM-talk] Why the BSD vs GPL debate is irrelevant to OSM

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:37:53 GMT 2009

2009/12/14 Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au>:
>>Google has a lot of data and are good at getting more, be it official
>>or crowdsourced. It would be a huge loss for the collective knowledge
>>of everyone if this data escapes the virus. I can't afford that loss,
>>maybe you can.
>
> What is being lost though?

When Google sucks up data what's being lost is supporting the greater
good, Google just sucks up all the data they can for their own good.

In other terms, the ability for others to compete with Google on equal
footing, it shouldn't be about who sucked up the most data it should
be about who provides the most useful services with that data.