[OSM-talk] Dual/Multiple licencing

Brendan Morley morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Mon Dec 14 13:10:29 GMT 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:43:38 +1000, John Smith wrote:

>2009/12/14 Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au>:
>> the large print promised to address
>> "holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected
>> ways"? SA still holds them back somewhat.

>I disagree, it doesn't hold you back from any of those uses, it just
>requires you give back if you make changes, and so if you don't make
>changes to the data there is no limitation on what you can do with it,
>or how you can use it, and so on.

And that requirement has a chilling effect (holds you back) on some "productive ways".  Hypothetical example: I want to put my fast food joints on a map.
If I licenced from a typical commercial provider, I pay a one time consideration, produce my mashed up work, and be done with it.  If I licenced from OSM
contributors under OdbL, I would have to make my "working notes" for my fast food locations available to anyone who wanted them for perpetuity.  So I'd
have to establish a role in my company to keep those working notes safe.  I think.  I'd better hire a lwayer to be sure.

>> I can appreciate that the founders definitely intended sharelike/copyleft
>> principles. But IMHO it's certainly not marketed as a feature to fresh
>> recruits!

>Again, lets not confuse 2 issues here, are you talking about using, or
>extending, I assume the latter, but the former has no intended
>restrictions.

Extending/editing.

Brendan