[OSM-talk] Dual/Multiple licencing

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:28:51 GMT 2009

2009/12/14 Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au>:
> Well it got mixed up as soon as "most maps you think of as free actually
> have legal or technical restrictions" collided with the existence of
> ShareAlike.

No, your assumptions are bumping into the share a like provision, you
assumed something that someone else assumed to be something else, are
we all speaking the same flavour of english here? :)

> But to continue your blueprint analogy, the neighbours will build a
> "similar" extension to their display home and now they're obliged to take
> care of the blueprint alterations in perpetuity ... or at least while
> they're using their display home to try to sell houses ?

Unless they deposit the blueprints into a central repository, lets
call it the sum of all human knowledge on blueprints of house designs,
where you may find something useful to help you, and store information
that might be useful to others.

> I think I'll call it a night, I'm not sure I understand this line of
> reasoning.

It's simple, GPL = share the sand box with others, BSD = let others
hoard any changes they make without regard or respect for any effort
others have put into the pot.