[OSM-talk] Ditches

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 02:43:02 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> In a park is a ditch.  There is a very small bridge going over the ditch.
> I've tagged the ditch with barrier=ditch.  Should the ditch be layer=-1?
> Even though the park is layer=0?

Layers are only there to explain the relative heights of things when
they meet. No harm will result from marking the ditch as layer -1.
Whether or not it needs to be a lower number than that of the bridge
is an unresolved question.

> Should I use barrier=entrance on the node
> where the ways overlap, bridge=yes on the bridge (which means splitting the
> way for a very short bridge), both, something else?

There shouldn't be a junction between the bridge and the ditch, so no
need to mark anything barrier=entrance. Just mark the whole bridge
bridge=yes.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:IMG_6784.JPG
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:IMG_6783.JPG

The path:
highway=footway
(possibly bicycle=yes)

It then meets a bridge:
highway=footway
bridge=yes
layer=1

Then another path:
highway=footway

Meanwhile, unconnected, but crossing the bridge:
waterway=drain

Not sure I'd even mark it "barrier=ditch" after all that. I'd also
only specify a layer for the bridge, not the ditch/drain.

Steve