[OSM-talk] How is there not any creative-type (US) copyright in OSM data?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 03:34:57 GMT 2009

2009/12/15 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> Browsewrap may or may not be enforceable.  And even if it is enforceable any
> judgment for damages would probably be minimal.  But I'm willing to abide by
> the terms of service of the sites that I visit, at least when I take the
> time to read them.  Not doing so is effectively trespassing with notice,
> morally if not legally.

Assuming that you are actually breaching something and have aggrevated
someone enough to drag you into court over it.

> It's highly doubtful they'll ever kick in, at least for me.  As you've said
> yourself, contracts are supposed to be mutually agreed upon, and they don't
> trump laws.

What license do you plan to use to actual enforce this, simply staying
with the status quo is unlikely to protect your work since copyright
law isn't likely to be applicable in some jurisdictions, so people in
those jurisdictions can simply take cc-by-sa licensed data and import
in into a database using ODBL.