[OSM-talk] Ditches

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:57:20 GMT 2009

2009/12/15 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> My argument stands. There is no need to tag layers *except* in those
> situations. And in those situations, layers are absolutely required.
> (Well, except that underground car parks are/will be tagged as
> underground...and again, a convention should be in place to avoid the
> necessity for layers.)

You are assuming that is normal, but your assumption may only hold true for you.

> But, as I just said, knock yourself out. Add all the layer tags you
> like. It does no harm.

No, but taking short cuts and minimising can do harm if people assume
one thing, and other people assume another, just look at the mess with
highway=cycleway, some deem this very bad because it lacks information
that they deem to be critical, again, it's human nature to try and opt
for the easy way out and the least amount of effort possible most of
the time and the end result could be a mismash of guess work based on
what you perceive to be normal.