[OSM-talk] Countering Google's propaganda

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 03:39:14 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:53 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/12/18 Kevin Peat <kevin at kevinpeat.com>:
> > If it is because of the license then we should take the opportunity to
> make
> > sure our new license is friendly to these kind of applications and uses
> as
> > what is the point of creating a free map if only a minority of people are
> > ever going to see it.
>
> They want to be able to sell map data without giving anything away of
> real worth to anyone else, which if we wanted to support this kind of
> activity we would just spend out time giving data to Google for free.

Aw c'mon, Google Maps doesn't "giv[e] anything away of real worth to
anyone"? Tell that to the millions of people who use it on a daily basis. A
high quality, high performance, extremely reliable mapping platform.

We all have ideological reasons for preferring OSM, but let's not kid
ourselves: Google has a great product which they give away for free.

Steve