[OSM-talk] SOTM 2010 Girona, Spain!!

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Dec 20 13:33:00 GMT 2009

>All of Spain is further north than Tennessee, the US state where I live.
Tennessee is on about the same >latitude as Algeria.

That's another example of the "anticlockwise axis tilt" of perceptions of
places versus where they actually are.

I've noticed that several places in the world are tilted anticlockwise
compared to where one expects them to be.

To me living in the UK, the natural way of thinking suggests that
Edinburgh-London-Paris are on a N-S axis. They're not, it's actually
NNW-SSE - tilted anticlockwise.

Likewise I imagine Paris and New York, and London-Amsterdam-Berlin-Moscow,
to be on W-E axes. Again they're not, it's approx WSW-ENE in all cases, so
again the axis is tilted anticlockwise.

Tennessee I'd have imagined, before I realised (some years ago) how much
further south the USA is compared to where you think it is, as being about
the same as southern France or northern Spain.

The much wetter climate of the USA compared to most of Spain, and
certainly north Africa, plays a role in this. My one visit to SE USA was
changing planes at Atlanta, GA and it was very green - comparable to the
UK or France.

Nick