[OSM-talk] Patch to render names from routes and custom highway shields on a per country basis

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:28:49 GMT 2009

2009/9/21 Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>:
>    <Rule>
>      <Filter>[highway] = 'motorway' and [length] = 8</Filter>
>      <MaxScaleDenominator>1000000</MaxScaleDenominator>
>      <MinScaleDenominator>100</MinScaleDenominator>
>      <ShieldSymbolizer name="ref" face_name="DejaVu Sans Bold"
> size="10" fill="#fff" placement="line" file=
> "%SYMBOLS_DIR%/mot_shield7.png" type="png" width="59" height="17"
> min_distance="30" spacing="750"/>
>    </Rule>

This thread died some time ago, has any progress been made with mapnik
or anything else that would easily allow at least custom shields for
the main routes of a country?

There is a lot of people that would love to see something more
familiar and less bland show up on map tiles. The majority of
non-OSMers expect maps to look a certain way and even Google is
rendering custom highway shields differently for different countries.

If we want to win the hearts and minds of non-mappers we need to fill
certain expectations of what a regular map should look like.