[OSM-talk] Why doesn't OSM implement a simple measure to protect it's users and passwords?

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Tue Dec 22 18:41:41 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:31:10PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> I'd like to see SSL encrypted connections for everything, there are a lot of
>> employees spying on their staff,  governments on their population and people
>> each other. I am not afraid in loosing my password to someone as its a unique
>> for OSM but the world is full of privacy black holes and we want to support
>> our users/mappers against any breach of confidentiality.
>
> I might support that elsewhere but with regard to OSM, my honest plea to
> everyone is: If you have something that should remain secret, DO NOT
> UPLOAD IT TO OSM. Because I (as a member of the project) do not want to
> share responsibility for keeping the secret.

Its not about the data you are uploading - but probably the fact that
you participate in an open project at all. Otherwise - why do we
have nicknames? We definitly have people who would not like their
employee to know they are participating in open geodata.

Yes - i know - you'll see the endpoints anyway but nevertheless. Noone
should easily be able to read what i do.

Flo
Florian Lohoff                                         flo at rfc822.org
"Es ist ein grobes Missverständnis und eine Fehlwahrnehmung, dem Staat
im Internet Zensur- und Überwachungsabsichten zu unterstellen."
- - Bundesminister Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble -- 10. Juli in Berlin