[OSM-talk] Why doesn't OSM implement a simple measure to protect it's users and passwords?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 11:59:02 GMT 2009

2009/12/26 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Right. So you're not saying that encrypted tile access would do anything to
> fix this situation. Good, because that's my opinion also.

I wasn't asking for encrypted access to tiles (although it would be
nice), I only ever mentioned things like APIs and GPX uploads and
anything else where information, especially personally identifiable,
is sent to OSM, you generally don't authenticate to request tiles.

> So you brought this up only to show *how* paranoid some people are. Good,
> but I knew that already ;-)

This is an example of a potential threat to OSM and it's resources if
people do this. At this point in time is there any automated methods
in place to rate limit tile queuing/sending to users?