[OSM-talk] How to manage GPX files?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Tue Dec 29 21:45:26 GMT 2009

Before I learned about OSM, I had already purchased some commercial
software called ExpertGPS (the Pro version so I could convert the
traces to SHP).  I could do the GPX->SHP conversion with free tools
now that I've learned about it.

What I still like about ExpertGPS is the ease of editing GPX tracks, and
I also use it to download the waypoints directly from my eTrex Vista hcx.
Easy to trim the traces, and more importantly, easy to "simplify" them down
to few enough points that I often feel comfortable converting the traces
directly into OSM ways (via JOSM) rather than tracing over them as GPS tracks.

I'd recommend installing and learning to use JOSM if you're inclined to edit
things.