[OSM-talk] NZ LINZ data import and attribution

Joe Richards joefish75 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 17:33:00 GMT 2009

>A more serious problem with that would probably be that OSM in turn
>would have to require anyone who reuses OSM data to also show the
>attribution on the map.  This would make OSM practically useless for
>users such as GPS vendors, and also would have to be mentioned in
>license terms.
>
>So I think we simply can't accept data from donors who ask that the
>acknowledgement be always visible.

This seems to have been discussed (and I think put to rest) already:

<quote source="http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-April/025079.html">
Actually *every* published map that uses OSM data, including OSM's own maps
must satisfy the attribution requirement.  That's what the BY clause in the
CC-BY-SA means.

Anyone publishing OSM data must provide attribution: "You must attribute the
work in the manner specified by the author or licensor" is what Creative
Commons actually says.  The attribution page on the wiki at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution would seem like a simple
and convenient way of achieving this.
</quote>

<quote source="http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-March/000865.html">

> and that we have no control over the use of map tiles on other sites.
>  All we can do is ensure the source of the data when imported on the
>  individual nodes and ways is clearly attributed and that the donating
>  organisation gets prominent attribution via the blogs and wiki.

not our responsibility - the data is available from numerous sources,
none of whom are required to police it's use. neither are we
</quote>