[OSM-talk] Donate today for OSM's £10,000 server fundraiser

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Thu Feb 5 19:04:37 GMT 2009

Adam Schreiber wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
>
>> Today we're kicking off a funding drive to raise £10,000 to buy new
>> API database servers for the upcoming new API and server software
>> which we call "0.6″ as it's the 6th version. Specifically we're
>> after a 3U Rackmount server, 2x Quadcore, 24GB RAM, 10x SAS 15kRPM
>> disks.
>>

> How much room to grow do these hardware specs give us?

The current DB server is badly overload. The 3x frontend API servers are
limited back as not to overload the current DB server.

The upgraded DB server is estimated will last us at least a year using
our current growth pattern. At that stage we could then upgrade the
hardware further or redeploy the server elsewhere in the project.

http://donate.openstreetmap.org/

Regards
 Grant