[OSM-talk] donating read-only api-mirrors

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 6 09:20:01 GMT 2009

Russ Nelson wrote:

> It seems to work for them.  I think it's a good idea for us.

I'm sure at some point we'll need to do it, but we haven't really
reached that point yet and we certainly don't have the resources to do
it yet.

There are also a number of significant but important differences between
what wikipedia do and what was being proposed for us - all the servers
and infrastructure used by wikipedia are owned and operated by them
while Marcus was suggesting clustering third party servers which is not
something we will be doing as far as I'm concerned.

Wikipedia also have all the servers, both read-only and read-write,
using the same database, or a slave of the same database rather than
having lots of independent databases that try and stay in sync via
external dumps and diffs.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)