[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] donating read-only api-mirrors

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 6 15:35:31 GMT 2009

Erik Johansson wrote:

> How much of the DB load comes from the read only part of the  API, and
> what if you remove the area limit on the map call?

If I remove the area limit then somebody will do a massive query that
will suck up all the memory on the machine and everything will die.

That limit is not (primarily) about the cost of gathering the required
data, though obviously that might become an issue as well, it's about
the fact that we are holding the whole result set in memory (several
times over in fact) on the rails server and those servers only have a
finite amount of memory.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)