[OSM-talk] Long Ways and API 0.6

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 22:24:47 GMT 2009

2009/2/8 MP <singularita at gmail.com>:
>> Routes can happily be split -- the primary point of relations here is
>> to allow more than one route following the same way. It's not like
>> we're trying to build categories or similar -- we don't need to
>> because we can always match tags.
>
> Not always - there can be more routes on one road  for example one
> international route plus perhaps a bicycle route, marked trail or
> route of some bus line. There is for example international bicycle
> route from Prague to Vienna (about 420km), most of it is on local
> routes of even some forest trails, often switching roads and therefore
> having lot of relation members. Many parts of it will be shared with
> another bicycle routes so you can't just forget relation and "match
> tags".

Umm.. yes. You've managed to get the complete wrong end of the stick :-)
I was saying that's what relations are there for.

You need the route relation so you can represent easily both a local
and international route over the same ways, but it's no big deal if
you have to split the 420km international route into three sections.

Dave

Dave