[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:57:28 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

Actually the best we have is the actual tagging in the database. Works
> wonderfully.

I disagree.

Can you show me how to make rendering rules (I am mostly interested in
Mapnik, but any renderer will do as a proof of concept), which does not draw
a border line along the coastline of Germany and at the territorial waters
border of Germany?

f you look at almost any non-OSM map, that be an Atlas of the World from you
bookshelf, a tourist map of Europe or most (if not all) online maps, you
will not see halos around islands and coastlines. This is not because the
data to make them have been unavailable for the mapmakers, but because the
mapmakers have made a choice not to show these borders or show them
differently (perhaps as a thin blue line). If we tag maritime borders the
same way as land borders, it will be very difficult for someone using OSM
data to avoid drawing halos, with todays renderers I would even call it
impossible. I think we should make it easy to follow long established
cartographic conventions for general purpose maps using OSM data, and at the
same time making it fairly easy to make a special purpose map.

 - Gustav