[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 11:43:29 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> You have probably not read the posting to which Jochen refers. It is here:

Read, but not understood (even if I did try...)

> It distinguishes between "boundary=administrative" (which would denote the
> political boundaries, be they on water or on land), and
> "land_area=administrative" (for the land area). Other than this distinction,
> both are tagged the same. A landlocked country will have just one border
> relation that is tagged boundary=administrative AND
> land_area=administrative, whereas a country with maritime borders will have
> two relations that partly use the same ways, partly not.
>
> Crucially, the coastline ways are never tagged with any boundary tag; they
> are just included as-is in the land_area=administrative relation.

So, a renderer will need to understand realtions to be able to render any
borders?

Would it not be a good idea to combine this relation with a specific set of
tags for maritime borders? I still have not seen a ruleset (for any
renderer) that does not render the halos around coastlines.

 - Gustav