[OSM-talk] OSM on The Reg

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Feb 11 12:31:06 GMT 2009

Gert Gremmen wrote:
> The current concept is good for geeks , like you and me,
> and people that are really interested. The geeks are on-board
> (> 10000). Now it's time to create a user interface for the rest
> of the world.

Yes, I agree absolutely (wow, Gert and I agree on something :) ).

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2008-July/010994.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-November/031778.html

>Kenneth:
> > does *any* mapping app have an option like 'add road'?
> Do you know any mapping application accessible for
> everyone having internet ???

Yes on both counts: Google MapMaker.

I personally don't want to write the editing interface that the rest of the
world uses, and it's slightly insane that somehow I've ended up doing so
(or, at least, what we have so far) - I mean, I'm not even a programmer, I'm
a magazine editor with not a whole lot of free time. If future-Potlatch were
to become _an_ editor available on the main site rather than _the_ editor,
I'd be very happy.

Of course, CloudMade might already be working on this - can anyone from CM
confirm/otherwise? Would help the rest of us in knowing what to do next.

cheers
Richard