[OSM-talk] New Map Warper

Tim Waters (chippy) chippy2005 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:06:10 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to announce the release of the latest Map Warper image
rectifier application, designed with OSM in mind.
http://warper.geothings.net/

You may have seen or used the older application, this one has got a
few more bells and whistles, including:
    * Search for maps.
    * Users & "MyMaps". (no need to sign up to use it)
    * Image cropping.
    * Control Point editing.
    * Calculation of RMS errors.
    * Export in different formats.
    * Activity feeds.

More info: http://thinkwhere.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/new-map-warper/

Caveats: It will rescale large images (over 1500x1500), but it also
makes things work much faster. It is ultra-beta and undergoing active
development, so expect bugs and things not to work, but for most uses
it should work fine. Let me know if you encounter any such things.
If you have any existing WMS links from the older version, they will
still work and I've also imported the existing maps, and control
points. If you sign up and want to "own" a map you previously
uploaded, let me know.

Features planned include serving the rectified maps as tiles, adding
tags, making maps private, making the KML export better, and
incorporating GeoRSS feeds. Again, feel free to drop me a line if you
have a good idea for a new feature, or if you'd like to hack on it.

Uses OpenLayers, GDAL, Mapserver and RubyOnRails, source can be found
http://svn2.geothings/net/mapwarper or
http://github.com/timwaters/mapwarper

Cheers,

Tim

Incidentally, what do we think about using Google's Satellite View for
helping to rectify our maps?
In the comments of Ed Parsons post
http://www.edparsons.com/2008/10/who-map-is-it-anyway/ there was a
discussion about Google's rights over things you make using their API,
and I think Ed is making it clear that using the Satellite view to
rectify images for this application would be quite OK, giving the
similar use case of adding an image to Google Earth and I'm inclined
to agree with him.