[OSM-talk] OSM on The Reg

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:37:50 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Someoneelse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>wrote:

> Maybe something more akin to "openstreetbugs plus a simple guided way to
> add one feature at a time" should be integrated into OSM, but I wouldn't
> use GMM as an example except of what not to do!

 Maybe it's because I read the initial blog post on the Google Blog about it
a while ago, but it seemed clear to me that they only let you create map
features in countries that are listed on the page of supported areas. The US
and UK are definitely not in those areas.

In the areas that are supported, the user interface is quite abstract, but
once you get the hang of it I could see how it would be very quick. One
thing that I'd like to see in any newbie-editor for OSM is a "create road"
button that would ask for road name and type. The user could then expand
into "advanced options" if they wanted to apply speed limit or what not.

Their review process is pretty interesting, too. In some areas, any single
change has to be reviewed by at least 2 people -- one of which is supposed
to have local knowledge of the area.