[OSM-talk] "News blog" link - to blogs.openstreetmap.org?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:29:28 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM, OJ W <ojwlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The OSM front page has a "news blog" link - should that go to
> http://blogs.openstreetmap.org/ rather than
> http://www.opengeodata.org/ ?  (gives more of an idea what's happening
> in the project, and still shows all the opengeodata stories)

I've been wondering why the official OSM blog is at opengeodata.org rather
than at blog.openstreetmap.org (sic).  Perhaps it's just historical, unless
there's some logic to it that I'm not aware of.  It must be confusing for
newcomers, and for the press, that major OSM announcements are made on a
site that is apparently unconnected to the project.

So, what makes opengeodata.org the official OpenStreetMap blog anyway?  It's
linked prominently on the OSM front page.  Who contributes to it?  I have an
account there and most posts appear to be from OSMF board members but I
don't know if all board members have an account and in the past there have
been posts from non-board members as well.

The wiki page has also developed its own news panel which contains briefer
but more community centric entries.  OJW pointed out,
blogs.openstreetmap.org which is a consolidation of community blogs.

To complete the picture, the domain opengeodata.org is registered personally
in Steve's name.  opengeodata.com is also a registered domain.  It is not
clear who owns it, but it redirects to openstreetmap.nl, so it's a
reasonable assumption that it is owned by someone in the Dutch OSM
community.

Considering all of this, there seems to be scope for reorganisation to make
things a bit more logical.

So who's got any ideas or suggestions?

80n