[OSM-talk] Splitting Long Ways/Polygons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 16 18:50:07 GMT 2009

Hi,

Ian Dees wrote:
> Over on talk-us, we're discussing the appropriate way to import the National
> Hydrography Database which contains most of the water features for the
> United States. One of the issues we've uncovered is how to split long ways
> and polygons to comply with the 2000-node limit. Have others discussed how
> to do this correctly? I'm assuming that chaining ways together is not the
> optimal solution.

For long waterways, it is absoutely usual to split them into a number of
ways of manageable size (think not only of the API limit but of someone
downloading an area touched by the river in JOSM!).

Optionally, use a relation to group the parts.

The same is true for large areas, with the exception that you *must* use
a relation (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relation:multipolygon, under
"advanced multipolygons").

BTW I intend to move this from the "talk" page to the proper article
soon, please shout your objections.

Bye
Frederik