[OSM-talk] [tagging] RFC :left/:right (asymmetrical roadside features)

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Tue Feb 17 11:22:14 GMT 2009

Regarding http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/left_name
, Andy Allan wrote:

> And nobody pays attention.

Probably as a result of there being no software support (because nobody
paid attention...), and because it's historically been a comparatively
rare use case. Though I'm working right now with a group of local
cyclists who might plausibly want to denote which side of a two-way
street a given farcility is on so that they can be more effectively
avoided. At least I think that's the reason...

> except for oneway roads, I have no idea which ways are pointing in
> which directions, and it shouldn't be important unless it *has* to be
> important.

For this it would have to be important. Can people take a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Way_Direction_Dependant and
make sure we've caught everything? Thanks.

--
Andrew Chadwick