[OSM-talk] [tagging] RFC :left/:right (asymmetrical roadside features)

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Feb 17 13:58:59 GMT 2009

Andrew Chadwick (mailing lists <andrewc-email-lists <at> piffle.org> writes:

> Further to Tobias's raising of :<mode>, :wet, :<direction> etc. for
> pseudovoting, I'd like to raise a general method for tagging properties
> of the two sides of the road:
>
>    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/right_left
>
> The proposal suggests an interpretation of suffixes like
>
>    <property>:left=<value>
>    <property>:right=<value>

I see one big trouble.  If not so clever editor (program or human being) is
changing the direction of the road withour swapping left/right keys, nobody can
correct the situation without local knowlegde of the area mapped.  Left or right
are not enough by themselves but there must be some additional information.
"Left is in the west" tag would give more exact information as well as "Left, as
user xx saw it on January, 29th 2009".