[OSM-talk] "News blog" link - to blogs.openstreetmap.or g?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Feb 17 14:31:36 GMT 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:50:04 +0000, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> OJ W wrote:
>> and how come sidebars on the map can be opened by:
>>
>> * clicking on one of the "external links" (map key)
>> * selecting a map layer (data viewer)
>> * selecting a tab (export)
>> * submitting a form (search)
>
> Because those are the things which need them?

Well that's fine, but it's coming at the home page from a coder's point of
view rather than a user's. I think it's fair to say that, from a usability
standpoint, the OSM home page is pretty terrible. There's very little
consistency, and language/graphics are often far from obvious.

Clicking on the 'view' tab or the slightly cryptic 'permalink' text at the
bottom right to get a URL to share with friends? Couldn't be more obvious!

We can learn a lot from CloudMade's map homepage -
http://maps.cloudmade.com

Not that I have the time to do much about this, and I'm terrible with JS,
but it's not enough to dismiss OJW's and others' concerns as though they're
unfounded!

Regards,
Tom