[OSM-talk] [tagging] RFC :left/:right (asymmetrical roadside features)

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Tue Feb 17 20:57:41 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:45:00PM -0000, Ed Loach wrote:

> Oneway is strange in that as well as yes/no you can have oneway=-1
> for one way in the opposite direction of the way, and I still can't
> work out why that is necessary.

It used to be the case that the renderers wrote the name of the street in
the direction the segments were drawn, so you'd always try to draw a street
starting from the west and heading east.  If the same street was one-way
from east to west, we needed a way to indicate this without having the
street label upside-down.