[OSM-talk] Parcel Data in OSM?

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Wed Feb 18 07:14:16 GMT 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 7:00 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> cases, it has addresses which can be used for geocoding

For completely unrelated reasons (I was searching for an unfinished
railroad and was looking to see if it existed in any property lines)
(no, it didn't) (sigh) I had a copy of the parcel data for Oneida
County, New York.  It has the address in a fixed field, along with the
name of the road.  It would be trivially easy to set addr:housenumber
and addr:street for the parcel.

The trouble is that I don't know where in that parcel the building is
to be found.  And some parcels are quite strangely shaped, e.g. two
squares overlapping only at a corner.  And then the street name and
the TIGER street name vary wildly, e.g. tiger:name_base="State Highway
13" and ocgov:loc_st_nam=Nys Rt 13" (or in another record, "State
Route 13 N").  The latter only matters if the property is on a corner.

I've noticed that the road is considered to be "unowned", so there's
only one way connecting those nodes.  Thus, I'll look for the nodes
with only one way, and tag the center of those nodes with the
address.  Might employ some heuristic to guess which road if multiple
roads are found.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson