[OSM-talk] Large OSM "globe" style images

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 18 07:17:33 GMT 2009

Hi,

Maarten Deen wrote:
> That's nice! And now 360 pictures, all one degree rotated and a nice java
> application that you can rotate the globe.
> Oh, you need images for rotation around the poles too. I guess this is not
> something that can be rendered realtime?

Well, the tiles at home tile creation process is probably as far away from
"realtime" as it gets ;-) but Marble projects these tiles onto the globe
quite quickly, indeed if you have a fast machine and a normal screen
size then you get a real-time effect while turning the globe with your
mouse.

The very-large-Xvfb-through-VNC method that I discussed here of course
does not lend itself to very high graphics performance though ;-)

Bye
Frederik