[OSM-talk] Adding architect names to buildings

Michael quelbs+osm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:50:11 GMT 2009

> >     Is the architect an attribute of the building or is the building an
> >     attribute of the architect?
> >
> >     You could create an "architect" relation and have the buildings be
> >     members of that.
> >

> > Interesting idea. You'd have to hope that no architect had worked on
> > more than 1000 buildings though  :-)   This also wouldn't work for where
> > relations are already used to group several building outlines together
> > as one 'site' (see
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site), whereas
> > using a simple architect=* tag, you could add this to the existing
> > relation.

Why wouldn't it work? As far as I understand the relation of the site
could be simply added to the "architect" relation. When an architect has
more than 1000 Buildings there also can be multiple relations for one
architect (perhaps depending on the years the buildings are created).

But in spite of this I do not know if this type of relation is
discouraged because it it looks like a category as mentioned here
<http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-February/034206.html>.

Cheers,
Michael