[OSM-talk] near longitude 180

Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net
Thu Feb 19 10:44:56 GMT 2009

Hello,

there's some strange coastline data near longitude 180. See eg
http://openstreetmap.org/browse/way/24020654

I thought I'd ask before trying to fix this, in case I'd flood the
world otherwise.

I haven't found an editor that works well in this area -- they all
seem to think the world ends at ±180 degrees. Here's a challenge:
Which editor will be first to support seamless editing all around the
world? (Let's leave the poles out for now.)

For testing, I traced a small lake crossing the line as a single
closed way with natural=water: http://openstreetmap.org/browse/way/31254026
. That's good data as far as I understand the data model. It'd be nice
to have a reasonably well-mapped area across this meridian as a
testing ground for tools.

Cheers
Robert